Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Expect the Unexpected

I'm not sure who came up with this phrase - but I'm sure they couldn't have been a very happy person. To "expect the unexpected" is to worry all the time about something you cannot control, predict or do anything to prevent. I feel like I certainly WAS this person during my pregnancy - always trying to prepare for the unknown. But I learned to ignore this phrase soon after Jet was born. God took care of us in ways we could not and I have been content to just take one day and a time since. And in that mind-frame I have been exceedingly happy with how everything has turned out. However, today - happy was hard for a little bit.
Today we went in for a routine check-up with our neurosurgeon and 4 hours, 4 waiting rooms and one CT scan later we were told news we had always hoped to avoid - our Jet needs a shunt. The CT scan showed the fluid on his brain is increasing and though in the past we were told it was minimal - today I guess we crossed that line where Jet is no longer better off without the shunt - now it is better to have one. While the doctor says he looks great (no real symptoms of fluid pressure or effects on his brain tissue - praise God.) the fluid is growing and Jet's head is growing and the doc says it is time to drain that fluid. We handled the news well from the neuro, asked the usual questions, thanked him as always. Then he left us and the tears came. For me anyway. :) It is so hard to swallow news like this. I thought I was prepared. I knew it could happen. I thought I EXPECTED it! But I guess I didn't and it totally breaks my heart. Jet was of course happy in the arms of Daddy. And as I am processing this change of events, I realized I cannot truly process and persevere without prayer.
So I am asking for prayers - prayers that we will remain thankful for all God has done for us and thankful for this age and country we live in where Jet can be helped by capable doctors. Prayers for strength and peace this coming Monday 11/30 when Jet is scheduled to have the shunt surgery. Prayers of protection and healing for our little boy (that the surgery will be successful and no infection will set in). And prayers for trust and wisdom as we watch for any problems in the future...but not so watchful that we worry too much.

So we know what to expect -
From the doctors who have outlined the surgery for us.
From our friends who have shared this same experience.
From our family who has always supported and cared for us.
And from our GOD who has never forsaken us.

And knowing this, we are able to face the future (and the unexpected) without fear.
Thank you for your prayers.
Love ~ Joanna, David and Jet

21 comments:

KeicherMom said...

We've been following your blog and your cute boy Jet for some time. Sorry to hear that you'll be crossing this bridge, but we send our prayers to Jet for the shunt surgery Monday: for a good operation, speedy recovery, and no complications. Stay strong!

Cassie said...

Prayers are coming your way! It's hard to see our kiddos go through anything. I will pray for a smooth surgery and a quick recovery. Keep us posted.

Leigh and Andy said...

Our prayers are always with Jet, but especially on Monday. I'm so sorry that Jet needs a shunt, but like you said, I am so grateful that there are shunts out there to help our boys. God is so good! Love and prayers...

Lauren said...

Oh Joanna!!!! Please be strong. I cried reading your post but I just know Jet will be okay! I am sorry you got the news you had been dreading but please stay strong and have faith. That little boy is a miracle and he will continue to pull through! You and David will be in our thoughts on Monday... Prayers for that sweet little angel! Keep us updated and have a beautiful holiday!

Mandi said...

Joanna, I'm so sorry to hear that Jet needs the shunt. I can only imagine what you're going through right now. You and your family will be in my prayers during these days leading up to the surgery, and on the 30th as well. I look forward to hearing how God proved Himself faithful to you through all of this!

Lindsay said...

I will be lifting your little Jet, and you and David in prayer! God is so good and I know He will be right with Jet during the surgery! God isn't done working miracles!! Keep us posted!

Micki said...

I'm so sorry that Jet has to have the shunt after all, but I am so thankful that he was born in a time that the doctors can do the surgery and protect that precious brain of his. Stay away germs! Hope the surgery goes well and Jet continues to make wonderful progress.

Summers Family said...

I am so sorry you guys are having to go through this now. We will certainly be praying for all of you over the next few weeks. Praying for the two of you to have strength and peace while he's in surgery, for Jet to be comfortable, infection free and to heal quickly and for the doctors to be amazing. Although I know he WILL be fine, my heart hurts for you today. Try to find comfort in each other and those that love you. I wish we lived closer, I'd bring you a meal :-) We look forward to hearing how well he's doing come Tuesday morning.

Hugs-
Summers Family

Sarah Hull said...

You three will all be in our prayers. Reading this post brought back a flood of emotions. It's so tough, but for us, the shunt (placed at 18 months) seemed to really help Katie and then it took a lot of extra worry off our shoulders, once it was placed and she had healed. Today it's just part of her and she seems to often forget that she even has one.
We will be thinking and praying for you all. Please keep us posted when you can.
Sending love your way.

Papi said...

We love you and appreciate your beautiful words about your faith and your sweet baby. We will pray and be there for you. You are so strong and God is good.

Uncle Nate said...

Josie and David - Kelly and I love you all so much! We pray for Jetty (the boo) every day and we admire your faith and strength as parents. Josie, you've always been good with words, but I feel like God is with you as you express prayer requests - they are right on, and so encouraging. We will absolutely be praying hard for the doctors and you three, hoping to be a source of strength as you are to our faith.

Stephanie said...

I've been following your blog for the past few months and have enjoyed checking in on you and your adorable little Jet! I know that things are very scary right now (we've been there-our son Nathan had a shunt placed when he was one month old and 2 revisions this past July). Faith is a POWERFUL thing as you well know and it has helped us in times of stress. I will certainly be lifting Jet up in prayer!

truly blessed said...

The tears are flowing as I type this morning. Your words bring back so many memories for me. My thoughts and prayers are of you, sweet Jet, David and the rest of the family. One day at a time is all you can do, sweet girl. God is in control. He is able to do much more than we could ever dream. Look what He's done already! :) I know your head knows that, but when it comes to your baby, your heart is just so tender. Joanna, after Emma's shunt revision 5 years ago, we came home and she went head first over the couch...on purpose. My heart just about came out of my throat. Then she looked up at me and smiled. :) They are so resilient. (She's much tougher than I am.) The threat of Jet possibly needing a shunt is now over. Let God lift that weight off your shoulders and take the next step.
Know that I'm here for you and that I love you.♥

Johnson A GoGo! said...

Dear Joanna, David, and Sweet Jet,

I am so very sorry to hear this news about Jet. I know you were so hoping this day wouldn't come for him. You are always such an inspiration to me. I gain strength through your faith and perseverence. While today there are tears with the "unexpected", there is such peace with the "expected" you mentioned. I am here for you and love you all dearly.

Joanna said...

Thank you ALL so much for your outpouring of love and encouragement. I was amazed to find 14 messages when I got on the computer this morning! You all are such a blessing to us and we are so thankful for you. We are feeling much better today and will keep everyone updated. Thank you again!

The Dugan's said...

I know you were hoping to avoid this, as we did in the beginning, too. He will pull thru the surgery so quickly and be his happy little self within no time!!! Thoughts and prayers are with you guys!

Meinhardt Family said...

Joanna, I'm so sorry. BUT, (as every parent of a child with SB will vouch), it will be okay. I cried when I found out Nellie needed one also. I have to say though, there was this little bit of relief. I was afraid of leaving the hospital always worried about her brain (if she hadn't had the shunt). As sad as I was for her to go through surgery, I knew this was the best thing for her. Little Jet will be just fine. I'll be thinking about you guys on Monday. Prayers and good thoughts to you and your family. Happy Thanksgiving...

Laura said...

We will be praying for your family all week and especially on Monday. We love you!

Adrienne, Hanna, Hayden & Garrett said...

We will pray for your family and that the brain surgery helps little Jet. I love following his progress. God bless you all.

Brittany said...

Joanna, you are forever in my thoughts. You are such a great mommy:-) Your family will be on my mind constantly on Monday.... I hope it isn't too long of a surgery and Jet can be back in your arms in no time!

Anonymous said...

Joanna,
We will be praying for your family. Christian has had his since birth and we have been blessed with no revisions. He is now 3. Jet will do just fine and will surprise you how strong he really is with a super quick recovery!

Popular Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails